In order to build a successful remote team, it is important to promote both belonging and empathy among each other. Three good principles are:
- Acknowledging each other
- Bringing people together
- Promoting inclusion
Ideas on how to foster belonging in teams:
- Not only work related channels in Slack
- Share and celebrate successes, interesting facts, but also decisions in writing or by video in Slack
- In video calls, insist everyone connects with their personal video
- Make an appointment for virtual 1-to-1 coffee
- Always have a virtual meeting room open to just say hello
- Arrange fixed times for virtual breaks and meet in the meeting room
- Arrange Virtual Lunch Dates
- Just as in real-life meetings, allow people to arrive in virtual meetings
- Yeah, I know, it’s hard:
- Just pick up the phone, call and chat a little bit.
And very important: Have fun!